Friday, July 01, 2011

Call of Duty 2 Startup Error

Kind of random, even for my blog, but I got this error when attempting to re-live the pure awesome that is Call of Duty 2:

---------------------------
WIN_ERROR
---------------------------
Error during initialization:
Couldn't load default_localize.cfg.  Make sure Call of Duty is run from the correct folder.

---------------------------
OK  
---------------------------

I couldn’t find any decent advice on this, so I fiddled around a bit and noticed that the shortcut did not specify a working directory. I tried setting it to the directory to which I’d installed (D:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Call of Duty 2\) and all was good. I’d imagine this happening in a couple of cases:

  1. If you install to anywhere other than C:\
  2. If you’re installing on a 64 bit machine

These are just theories though – I really can’t be bothered validating this, as I’m too busy shooting nazis.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

You could test your theory with Procmon, that is, after you help cause the fall of the Third Reich.